Saturday, October 10, 2009

The "Perlemoen" thief lives on in his suit.

My copy navigator at Vega told me that he was given a wetsuit that was left at the scene where an abalone thief dropped it moments before he was caught. Even though I am assuming that the wetsuit was in a perfectly acceptable condition, he is unable to wear it because it is "creepy". This is a clear illustration of the relationship between garment and owner. It is like an "inter-soul" exchange happens. As Wilson (1985:1) puts it:

"...we experience a sense of the uncanny when we gaze at garments that had an intimate relationship with human beings...For clothes are so much a part of our living, moving selves."

If there is such a connection between clothes and human beings then aborting my style and adopting a new look is creating a very real emotional confusion as this loss is felt.

2 comments:

  1. I've never actually thought about about this! Reading this post, I realised that I have formed such specific associations with certain adornments. My ex-boyfriend loved a certain dress of mine, and I have yet to wear it since we broke up. This scares me, I don't want to be carrying ghosts around with me!

    ReplyDelete